Filing a complaint with the RBQ against a plumber

21 September 2021

Doing business with a plumbing contractor is first and foremost a relationship based on trust. You agree to pay a set amount in order to obtain the contractor’s services. In the case of a plumber, this may involve a minor repair or the complete replacement of your pipes if, for example, they’re made of lead. However, disagreements may arise between you and your chosen plumber. If you can’t settle it with the plumber directly, you can file a complaint with the Régie du bâtiment du Québec (RBQ).

Reasons for filing a complaint with the RBQ

There are many reasons why you might want to file a complaint with the RBQ against a plumber. But keep in mind that complaints can only be filed with the RBQ in certain cases and under certain conditions. For instance, you may file a complaint if your contractor (in this case, a plumber) fails to fulfil their contractual obligations. This may include failure to meet deadlines or complete repairs. In such cases, it is entirely possible to appeal to the RBQ to settle your dispute. You may also file a complaint with the RBQ if you are dissatisfied with the plumber’s work once it is completed. The work doesn’t have to be still ongoing for the RBQ to get involved.

How to file a complaint with the RBQ against a plumber

If you find yourself in one of the above-mentioned situations, it is entirely possible to file a complaint with the RBQ. However, a few conditions must be met. First, ensure that your plumbing contractor had an RBQ licence at the time the work was performed. If not, you won’t be able to file the complaint—but you can still report that the work was done by someone without a licence. Once you’ve determined whether your plumber was properly licensed with the RBQ, you can file the complaint. However, in order for the RBQ to accept it, you must provide written evidence that binds you to the plumber. For example, any contract must clearly identify the contractor in question. If you have such evidence, then all you have to do is fill out the appropriate form on the RBQ website. If you have no written evidence linking the contractor to the work you’re complaining about, there is another remedy, but the RBQ isn’t an option—you can send the contractor a formal demand letter and take them to court.